What is Expressive Writing?
Expressive Writing is sharing your personal thoughts and feelings in the form of the written word without concern for proper grammar.
What are the benefits of Expressive Writing?
The British Journal Advances in Psychiatric Treatment says that the benefits of expressive writing include improved health and well-being:
Health Outcomes Include:
- Fewer stress-related visits to the doctor
- Improved immune system functioning
- Reduced blood pressure
- Improved lung function
- Improved liver function
- Fewer days in hospital
- Improved mood/affect
- Feeling of greater psychological well-being
- Reduced depressive symptoms before examinations
- Fewer post-traumatic intrusion and avoidance symptoms
Behavioral Outcomes Include:
- Reduced absenteeism from work
- Quicker re-employment after job loss
- Improved working memory
- Improved sporting performance
- Higher students’ grade point average
- Altered social and linguistic behavior